Friday, August 7, 2015

7 Quick Takes Friday about Chicken, Gardens, and a Saint



I'm so excited to be posting my first 7 Quick Takes on my new blog!! Let's get started.

1. Last Sunday was the Annual Chicken BBQ at our Fire Station, which meant Saturday was spent preparing the beans and coleslaw for me. And cleaning and organizing the fire station for John. Then he was back there early Sunday morning to help with the cooking of the chicken. Hunter and I worked the take-out line as usual. It was a beautiful day and nice to see the community come together for this annual event.



2. On Saturday after the cooking, I worked for several hours in my garden weeding and tying up the tomatoes. They are growing like crazy all over the place. My garden is coming along beautifully. I'm planning a whole blog post on my garden. It is something that I am very proud of.


3. Hunter has had an unusually exciting week. First he signed up to shadow a medical technician in the lab at the hospital where I work. He did that on Thursday and really enjoyed it. I am also putting him to work on a computer project in one of our physician offices to do some data mining.

4. Then he applied for and succeeded in gaining a part-time job at a local convenience store. He starts on Saturday. I am really proud of him for stepping outside of his comfort zone.

5. Just so Kayla isn't left out, she sent me this gem:


6. I canned my first vegetables from my garden this year. I'm using a new recipe for the banana peppers, we'll see if we like these better than the recipe I used last year. I did a few pickles too.


7. Last week I had the opportunity to be a part of a small group presentation by a priest who is the son of dear friends. He spoke about St. Teresa of Avila. It was a wonderful presentation focusing in part on how each saint is still themselves, different personalities and all. That they all come to holiness with all their traits that God gave them. It reminds me that God made each and every one of us with our own gifts and talents and a plan for the life he gave us. That is intriguing to think about, yet difficult to actually live. Lord have mercy. I've seen God's plan at times in my life, but forget all too often to keep focused on that.
As a bonus to the beautiful presentation; it was truly a blessing to see this priest, the son of faithfully Catholic parents who are role models. To see the fruits of their commitment to Catholic teaching and living their vocation as parents as God intended.

That will do it for me. Be sure to visit all the other Quick Takers over at Kelly's.

No comments:

Post a Comment